FieldComm Group Forums for FOUNDATION Fieldbus technology  

Go Back   FieldComm Group Forums for FOUNDATION Fieldbus technology > Public Forums > Fieldbus User's Network [FUN]

Fieldbus User's Network [FUN] The Fieldbus User Network List Forum. Post your fieldbus related questions here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 11th, 2015, 01:25 AM
Fieldbus Member

Lightbulb Does Control in the Field help reduce the number of Host controllers?

Good day folks

I would like to get your feedback if someone knows if Control In the Field (CIF) would help reduce the number of host controllers?

As you all know that the majority of regulatory PID controllers are simple feedback PID loops. If we have (say as an example) 10,000 PID loops in one plant and 6,000 of them are simple feeback loops, this resulted in 10 Host controllers with the PID loop done in the Host controllers. Now, if we reassigned all of the simple feeback PID loops to the field devices (CIF). Now, would it be practical to say that the number of Host controllers needed by also be reduced by 60%?

The reason I am asking is to assess and see if CIF would allow for significant reduction in control system hardware?

I know shadow blocks are still running in the Host controllers, but do they use up much processing time? I know if we perform control in the field (CIF), we practically can remove the host controller and still have a working plant (with no view though!).

Thank you for your feedback to those who know the answer.

Hamad